(AM-279: dp. 945 (f.),1. 184'6", b. 33', dr. 9'9"; s. 15 k. cpl.
104; a. 1 3", 2 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 det., 2 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.); cl. Admirable)
The first Prime (AM-279) was laid down 15 September 1943 by Gulf Shipbuilding Corp., Chiekasaw, Ala., Iaunched 22 January 1941; sponsored by Mrs. L. W. Thomoson, and commissioned 12 September 1944, Lt. Edward P. O'Callahan Jr., USNR, in command.
Following shakedown off the east coast, Prime reported to Service Force, Atlantic Norfolk, Va., 1 December 1944. After duty off Bermuda and the east ecast, she arrived at the Panama Canal Zone, and reported for duty to the Pacific Fleet 12 July 1945. In September, while at Okinawa, she was assigned to the Reserve Fleet. Following a change of assignment from the 19th to the 16th Fleet, she was marked expendable in March 1946. Demilitarized, she steamed to Shanghai, China.
Decommissioned and sold to China 29 May 1946, Prime was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 19 July 1946.