No. 39 Squadron (RAF): Second World War

No. 39 Squadron (RAF) during the Second World War

Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books

No.39 Squadron began and ended the Second World War as a regular bomber squadron, but spent the four years from January 1941-January 1945 operating as a maritime reconnaissance and anti-shipping squadron, serving around the Mediterranean.

In the years before the Second World War No.39 Squadron had been based in India, but in August it took its Blenheims to Singapore. In April-May 1940 the squadron moved west to Egypt, but in May, with Italian entry into the war increasingly likely, the squadron moved to Aden.

After Italy entered the war No.39 Squadron made a series of bombing raids on targets in Italian East Africa, supporting the British invasion of Eritrea.

In January 1941 the squadron converted to the Boston Maryland, and flew them alongside the last Blenheims on maritime reconnaissance missions from Egypt. August saw the arrival of the Bristol Beaufort torpedo-bomber, along with a number of crews from No.86 Squadron, although the first torpedo attack would not be made until 23 January 1942 (a unsuccessful attack on a 20,000 ton liner). Anti-shipping operations began earlier, in September 1941, and in October the squadron began to take part in Operation Plug, an attempt to prevent enemy shipping from operating in the waters around Greece and Crete.

During the first part of 1942 a detachment from the squadron was based on Malta, and in August 1942 that detachment merged with ones from Nos.86 and 217 Squadrons to form a complete squadron. Those members of No.39 Squadron still in Egypt joined No.47 Squadron.

The squadron remained on Malta until February 1943 (apart from a brief period back in Egypt in October-November 1942). During this period the squadron carried out an attack on the Italian battle fleet (15 June), hitting one battleship and one destroyer. Its main duties were mine-laying sorties and attacks on enemy shipping. At the end of 1942 the squadron operated in support of Operation Torch, the Allied invasion of North Africa.

In June 1943 the squadron moved to Protville (Tunisia) to convert to the Bristol Beaufighter. Nos.39, 47 and 144 Squadrons formed No.328 Wing and from July-September took part in anti-shipping strikes. In February 1944 the squadron moved to Sardinia, from where it attacked targets on the south coast of France. In July 1944 the squadron moved to the Italian mainland to attack targets in the Adriatic and on the Yugoslav coast. It also flew night intruder raids over northern Italy.

In October 1944 the squadron began operations against the Greek ELAS guerillas, and from December 1944-January 1945 a detachment even moved to Athens. At the same time the squadron began to convert to the Marauder bomber. Regular bombing missions began on 7 February 1945 and the squadron continued to operate against targets in northern Italy to the end of the war.

August 1939-January 1941: Bristol Blenheim I
December 1940-January 1941: Bristol Blenheim IV
January 1941-January 1942: Martin Maryland I
August 1941-June 1943: Bristol Beaufort I and II
June 1943-February 1945: Bristol Beaufighter X
December 1944-September 1946: Martin Marauder III

August-September 1939: Tengah (Singapore)
September 1939-April 1940: Kallang (Singapore)
April-May 1940: Lahore (Pakistan)
May 1940: Heliopolis (Egypt)
May-December 1940: Sheikh Othman (Aden)
December 1940-January 1941: Helwan (Egypt)
January-March 1941: Heliopolis
March-May 1941: Shandur
May-October 1941: Wadi Natrun
October-December 1941: Ikingi Maryut
December 1941-July 1942: L.G.86
July-August 1942: Shandur (Egypt)
August-December 1942: Luqa (Malta)
December 1942-January 1943: Shallufa
January-June 1943: Luqa
February-June 1943: Detachment to Gianaclis
June 1943: Protville II (Tunisia)
June 1943: L.G.224 (Egypt)
June-October 1943: Protville II
October 1943: Protville II
October-November 1943: Sidi Amor
November 1943-February 1944: Reghaia (Algeria)
February-July 1944: Alghero (Sardinia)
July 1944-June 1945: Biferno (Italy)
December 1944-January 1945: Detachment to Hassani (Athens)

Squadron Codes: XZ (Blenheim), Y (Beaufort), F (Beaufighter, Marauder)

August 1939-April 1940: Singapore
May-December 1940: Bomber squadron, Aden
January 1941-January 1945: Anti-shipping, maritime reconnaissance, Mediterranean
February 1945 onwards: Bomber Squadron, Italy


Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon

File:Royal Air Force- Operations in the Middle East and North Africa, 1939-1943 Royal Air Force, 39 Squadron CBM2083.jpg

HMSO has declared that the expiry of Crown Copyrights applies worldwide (ref: HMSO Email Reply)
More information.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For known raw unenhanced scans you can use an appropriate <> tag instead. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.


  • 1916 - Airfield opened as a training airfield for the Royal Flying Corps.
  • 1939 - Aircraft from RAF Wyton took part in some of the first bombing raids of the Second World War.
  • 1942 - The Pathfinder Force was formed here under Group Captain Don Bennett.
  • 1956 - Joint School of Aerial Photographic Interpretation was founded.
  • 2013 - Pathfinder building opened to house the Joint Force Intelligence Group.

Memories of RAF Biggin Hill

(Memories written by members of Forces Reunited)

RAF Biggin Hill in 1975

Part of my job whilst i was training to be a mechanic i was detailed to keep the gate guard spite & hurracane clean and shinning

RAF Biggin Hill, Aptitude Testing Section in 1968

Written by Eddie Billington

Working from Sundays to Thursdays on aptitude testing was a strange week, but at least Sundays were quiet with few people about. The section was surrounded by lovely rose bushes that were laden with flowers. Seeing as I live in married quarters in Vincent Square, after testing had finished for the day, I usually went home via a walk around the section collecting a rose from most of the bushes. Ended up filling the house with roses most weeks, much to the delight of the memsahib!
As a Baggies supporter, it was also the year that the football management let me have a ticket for the FA cup final at Wembley. Honoured indeed

RAF Biggin Hill, in 1966

Written by Eddie Billington

Involved briefly with Radio Biggin and the NCO i/c Chf Tech Eddie Askew organised a trip to Radio London onboard the Galaxy. Spent a great day on board meeting the DJs. Abiding memory is how small the studio was and eating fabulous steak followed by strawberries and cream, sitting opposite Ed (Stewpot) Stewart. Emperor Rosko rather fancied my girlfriend I seem to remember.

RAF Biggin Hill, in 1954

Written by Michael Brennan

I was the night duty store man, issue and receive aircraft fuel etc. I had to check the fuel tanks, I remember I was offered a lift there in RAF Police land rover, I still have no memory from getting into the vehicle, till I woke up in a local Hospital some days later. I was told we had run off the road, I went through the windscreen, was unconscious, with severe cuts etc. to my face and head

Amongst the eleven aircraft lost were three Halifax bombers (17) and again all these were from No. 405 Squadron, RCAF.

Returning in the early hours of 24 July 1942 from the Squadron’s 107th operation – an attack on Duisburg – the Halifax flown by Flight Sergeant Robert Baker Albright ** crashed in flames in the nearby small market town of Pocklington. The crew, having completed one circuit of its home base in preparation to land experienced a sudden engine failure and lost contol.

Having clipped a private house in the town, the aircraft crashed into a school building. All the crew were killed. Of the nine aircraft from No. 405 Squadron detailed for this raid, this aircraft was the only loss. (19)(20)(21)(22)

Lancaster PB555 (27/09/1944)

Lancaster PB555 was one of four No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Bottrop on 27th September 1944 (Daylight Raid)

Its seven-man crew comprised:

  • Walter Hargrave Harris (Pilot)
  • Ronald Bowen Perkins (Navigator)
  • John Francis Myers (Air Bomber)
  • Stanley Turner (Wireless Operator)
  • Alfred George Wright (Air Gunner)
  • Stephen Thurston Ashton (Air Gunner)
  • Alec Marks (Flight Engineer)

The squadron’s Operations Record book shows: “Aircraft hit by heavy flak over target. Oxygen supply pipe to Rear Gunner and Mid-Upper Gunner was severed which prevented effective look out being kept”


The AM Form 78 (Movement Card) shows that the aircraft was classified as AC on 27th September 1944 it was repaired on site and returned to the squadron on 14th October 1944

AM Form 1180

There isn’t an AM Form 1180 (Accident Card) held at the RAF Museum and, as such, it has not been possible to establish any more details

Aviation History: Interview with World War II Luftwaffe Ace Günther Rall

From the time the Luftwaffe went to war on September 1, 1939, its fighter pilots immediately began to make their presence known. Slashing through the skies and inflicting enormous casualties, they amassed previously unimaginable scores of aerial victories. Very few of the great pilots survived the war, yet the fact that Germany’s three leading aces did is testimony to their skill, determination and luck.

Günther Rall served on the Eastern and Western fronts, rising to the rank of major and commanding fighter groups and entire squadrons. He finished World War II as the third-highest-scoring fighter ace of all time with 275 aerial victories. His final assignment was in the defense of the Reich itself, and his capture by the Americans was the beginning of a second career for him.

Continuing to rise in the Bundesluftwaffe (the new Luftwaffe), he trained in the United States and later commanded German jet fighter units in the 1960s. He is still good friends with many of his old Luftwaffe comrades, and he was reunited with many for the 80th birthday celebration for General Johannes Steinhoff on September 15, 1993, shortly before Steinhoff’s death.

After retiring from the new German Air Force, General Rall began working in an advisory capacity for several well-known companies. Today he enjoys retirement, his family and his many grandchildren, and enjoys corresponding with historians.

World War II: General, please tell us about your background.

Rall: I was born on March 10, 1918, in Gaggenau, which is a small village in the Black Forest. My father was a merchant, and when I was born he was on operations during World War I. He first saw me when he came back.

WWII: Do you have any brothers and sisters?

Rall: I have a sister who is still alive and lives in Stuttgart, which I consider my hometown. My family moved there when I was 3 years old, and I was brought up and educated in Stuttgart. I was in elementary school and high school, which we called Gymnasium, where I was educated for nine years in Latin and five years in the old Greek, with the education focused more on literature and such, not so much on science or mathematics. I took the final exam, which we call the Abitur. I graduated at the age of 18 and became a cadet in an infantry regiment.

WWII: Didn’t you originally join the infantry and then decide that running in the mud wasn’t for you?

Rall: Yes. And later I decided to become an air force officer.

WWII: When did you begin flying in the Luftwaffe?

Rall: I started flying as a senior cadet in the air force, and I went through to the final exam for promotion to Leutnant . In those days the air force did not have the capacity to train all of its own cadets. And we took cadets from the navy and the army. I went to the air force and started flying in 1938 in Neubiberg, which is a suburb of Munich.

WWII: When was your first taste of combat?

Rall: This was at the age of 21. In 1939 I finally graduated training as a fighter pilot on a base east of Berlin and was transferred to Jagdgeschwader (fighter wing) JG-52. At the beginning of the war I was with this wing, and my first contact with the enemy was in May 1940. This was over France.

WWII: After the French capitulated, you served on the Channel Front, did you not?

Rall: Yes, we modified our airplanes for flying over sea–you know, with our dinghies in our planes. I was located near Calais. There we opposed the Royal Air Force on the other side and flew missions over the English Channel to the southern part of the British island. We were attacking convoys and things like that. Flights were short because of fuel we could not fly any farther.

WWII: Did the British pilots and officers fight well?

Rall: Outstanding. They were a well trained and highly motivated force, with good equipment and good morale.

WWII: A mirror image of your Luftwaffe at that time?

Rall: Oh, yes, and I was in a wing which at that time was not very experienced, as it was a newly formed wing. We learned our lessons over the British Channel, and we had tremendous losses against the Royal Air Force. I had the highest respect for them.

WWII: Were most of your losses during fighter missions or bomber escort missions?

Rall: We had unfortunately been assigned to escort Junkers Ju-87B Stukas (dive bombers), very slow-flying aircraft. We had to fly close escort (in Messerschmitt Bf-109Es), which was wrong. We had to stick with them, giving up all of our superiority and speed. So we escorted them over the Channel where the Spitfires and Hurricanes waited upstairs for us, and we had tremendous losses. I lost my group commander. The adjutant and all three squadron commanders were killed in a time span of about two weeks. I, as a young lieutenant, had to take over my 8th Staffel (squadron) as commander at the age of 22. I did this for three years.

WWII: I suppose that all of this combat experience trained you and prepared you for when you were later transferred to Russia?

WWII: In what other areas did you serve during the war?

Rall: Well, we were withdrawn to Germany, where we trained new pilots, and then went to Romania. We were to protect the oil fields and the bridges over the Danube River down to Bulgaria. We were stationed near Bucharest, the capital of Romania. This was for only a short time, from December 1940 to March 1941. When we moved into Bulgaria, Greece was beginning. I also had operations over Crete in May 1941. I came back with the group from Romania when Crete was finished, and we were given a new airplane, the Messerschmitt Bf-109F, which was a much better aircraft. It had round wingtips and a new Daimler Benz engine, the 603. At that point–June 1941–the war with Russia was just beginning. From then until 1944 I was in the southern part of Russia, moving down to the Caucasus and on to Dnepropetrovsk, Stalingrad, all of the important names. This was a very fast-moving war, contrary to the northern part of the Russian Front, which was more stationary. In the spring I came back to Germany to the Home Defense ( Reichs Verteidigung), flying against the Eighth Air Force, as you know, against all the North American P-51 Mustang, Lockheed P-38 Lightning and Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighters.

WWII: Describe the crash in which you injured your back.

Rall: This was November 28, 1941. I was flying between Taganrog and Rostov. In those days it was very cold. We had temperatures of minus 40 degrees Centigrade. I flew an afternoon mission, what we would today call a fighter sweep, when my wingman and I ran into Russians. It had just started getting dark, and I had a dogfight with a Russian, shooting him down in flames. In this very late light, I was blinded a little bit. I didn’t pay attention, and a Russian came in behind me. He shot my engine dead and it was over Russian territory, so certainly I moved and turned trying to reach the German lines– not a solid line, but I saw some German tanks. I was flying westward, and I tried to make a belly landing, but I saw where I was going to touch down, in what they call a baikal. This was a little canyon just across my flight direction, and I touched the ground at too high a speed. The aircraft hit and jumped up again. I bounced over a little canyon and pushed my stick forward. I bellied in and crashed on the other side. That was the last I knew, as I saw this wall coming against me, and in the big bang I was knocked out. The rest of the story I learned from my wingman, as he was circling over me and watching what happened. When the battle and crash were over, my wings came off, my engine came off, and thank God these things came off so I didn’t catch fire. I was hanging in the wreckage and nearby was a German tank. The crew jumped out and cut me out of the cockpit. I was unconscious and I didn’t know how I got out. Later that night I ended up in a burned-out school in Taganrog. This was a kind of aid station for the ambulance, and there was no medical treatment there.

Rall: Yes, I was lucky. In the crash I broke my back in three places–the eighth and ninth thoracic vertebrae and the fifth lumbar vertebra. I was paralyzed for a long time on the right side and my right leg.

WWII: How many times were you wounded during the war?

Rall: I was wounded three times, but I was shot down about eight times. I bellied in between the front lines, I jumped out and was picked up by Germans in tanks and so on. I was always lucky, except I was seriously wounded three times. The first time it was my back. I was then shot and hit right in the face and in my hand, and the third time I jumped out and a P-47 Thunderbolt shot my left thumb off.

WWII: You met your wife, Hertha, while in the hospital.

Rall: Yes. She was a medical doctor, and we met after the crash in Russia. I was evacuated in due time and was back in Romania. We were moving back in retreat, and there were no X-ray stations it was just chaos. In Romania, I was X-rayed and the doctor told me, ‘Flying? You can forget it!’ because my back was broken in three places. I got a full body cast, an extension cast, and when this was fixed after one week, I was transferred on a train, which took eight days to go through Romania and the Carpathian Mountains. We ended up in Vienna, and at night we came to the train station. The doctors came and I had everything written on my chest as to what had happened to me. They took me to the hospital and the next morning Hertha was the doctor who saw me, and afterward she became my wife.

WWII: What types of aircraft did you fly?

Rall: I flew the Messerschmitt Bf-109 in all of the different marks (variants), the E, F, G and the K model, and of course the Focke-Wulf Fw-190, but I liked the 109 most because I was familiar with it. Certainly I flew the 190, but only the D model long-nosed version, toward the end of the war in some missions.

WWII: How would you compare your aircraft with Allied fighters?

Rall: When I was injured, I became the commander of the German Fighter Leader School for about four months or so. At that time we had formed a squadron with captured enemy aircraft, and we flew them–the P-38, P-47, P-51, as well as some Spitfires. My left hand was still in bandages, but I was flying all of these aircraft, as I was very eager to learn about and evaluate them. I had a very good impression of the P-51 Mustang, where the big difference was the engine. When we received these aircraft we flew about 300 hours in them. You see, we did not know anything about how they flew, their characteristics or anything before that. In the P-51 there was no oil leak, and that was just fantastic. This was one of the things that impressed me, but I was also very interested in the electrical starting switches, which we did not have. This made it very difficult in starting our engines in the Russian winter. We had the inertia starter. The cockpits of all of these enemy aircraft were much more comfortable. You could not fly the Bf-109 for seven hours the cockpit was too tight, too narrow. The P-51 (cockpit) was for me a great room, just fantastic. The P-38 with two engines was great, but I think the best airplane was the P-51. Certainly the Spitfire was excellent, but it didn’t have the endurance of the P-51. I think this was the decisive factor. They flew for seven hours, and we flew for one hour and 20 minutes.

WWII: That makes quite a difference in aerial combat.

Rall: Yes, you would have to get down because you were short on fuel, then look for the nearest air base, and they still had fuel for three hours more.

WWII: With all of your experience, which of the commanders was the best fighter leader you served with, as far as taking care of the fliers and the missions?

Rall: I can tell you that all the characters you may name are and were good friends of mine, such as Johannes Steinhoff, Adolf Galland, Hannes Trautloft, Werner Mölders and Dieter Hrabak. As Hrabak was my wing leader at one time, and he is one of my closest friends now, I respect him as a fighter leader and as a person. In the war I served in the JG-52 exclusively on the Eastern Front.

WWII: Werner Mölders was also a respected man during the Spanish Civil War.

Rall: Absolutely, he was a great character and fighter leader, and he was a very strong Catholic. In those days he had his own rules and personality. He was a great man, creating new tactics, leading his men into combat, and being concerned for them and caring for them in the air as well as on the ground. This was, I think, the real Werner Mölders. Despite his young age, he was known as ‘Daddy Mölders.’ It was because of his experience and leadership that he was given the nickname.

WWII: What are your personal feelings about Luftwaffe chief Hermann Göring? Is it true that most of the pilots did not like him?

Rall: You could not like him. He was perhaps a capable man before the war. He was a great organizer, helping to build the air force after the First World War. Also, he was a great fighter pilot in World War I. As you also know, he was injured in 1923, and he had a very difficult injury. He had to take morphine for the pain and became addicted. It might have changed his character. At the time I became acquainted with him, I was cold to him. He was a big fat man, a very pompous man, and not only I but my comrades felt that he was out of touch with reality. He was certainly not respected as an air force leader. Actually he did not lead the air force at all it was somebody else, but not Göring. Hermann Göring would make silly statements to Hitler. Hitler said, ‘You are the leader of the air force,’ and he (Göring) made a long statement about the Battle of Britain, you know, that he would triumph over the Royal Air Force, which was wrong, as we had tremendous losses in our fighter fleet that we never recovered from during the war. He said, ‘We can support Stalingrad, the air force can do it,’ which he was not able to do, which was a very wrong and costly statement.

WWII: It has been said that Hans-Ulrich Rudel, the great Stuka pilot, was something of a maniac. Did you know him?

Rall: Absolutely, he was a bit of a maniac. I flew with him as his fighter escort for his group several times. They were flying normal Ju-87 missions, and we escorted them. This was in Russia, of course. He was a great Stuka pilot, no doubt–after all, he shot up 519 tanks among other things, which is quite something. After the war I was a fellow prisoner with him in France, as guests of the Americans. Rudel and I were in the same camp, and later we were borrowed by the Royal Air Force. I was sent to the British Fighter Leaders School at Tangmere. This was for interrogation, which lasted three weeks. I was there with Rudel as well, and we slept in the same room. Living very close together you get acquainted, and you come to understand the thinking of such a man, but I had known him before that. Anyhow, I was really surprised at this egocentric man he was the greatest in his own mind, that sort. It was a little disgusting to me.

WWII: What do you recall of your meetings with Adolf Hitler, such as the occasion when he awarded you the Oak Leaves and Swords to your Knight’s Cross?

Rall: The first time was in November 1942, when I was given the Oak Leaves. As you know, additional honors to the Knight’s Cross, from the Oak Leaves onward, were presented by Hitler personally. I was there with Steinhoff–at that time it was Hauptmann Steinhoff and Oberleutnant Rall–with some others, five of us in all. Certainly we were impressed with his headquarters in East Prussia, at the Wolfschanze (Wolf’s Lair) at Lotzen. We entered, he was standing there, and he handed over our decorations. We sat around the fireplace, and he asked each of us which units we came from, our battle experience and so on. All questions such as this, quite normal. Well, pretty soon he started his own monologue, knowing that we would go back to our unit and repeat what he had told us, and we would remark on what a great guy he was. Well, he started talking about the buildup of the anti-aircraft defense and new communications systems in Russia, the railway system and things like this. He talked about the width of the railroad tracks, how they needed to be made wider for standard German rail traffic and extended into the deeper regions. This was to be the expansion of the Third Reich in the Middle East–the building of villages and towns, all of these very essential things, which was a program he had in mind, no doubt. I asked him then, perhaps I was too courageous, but I interrupted him and asked, ‘Despite all of that, how long do you think this war will be? Because when we moved into Russia, the newspapers said that by the time the first snows came down we would be finished with the war in the East. Instead, we have suffered in the cold over there.’ So Hitler then said to me, ‘Well, I cannot tell you. This might be an open area. We have our settlements here, and when the enemy comes from the depths of the Asian steppe, then we will defend this area. Just like in the days of Genghis Khan.’

WWII: Wasn’t General Steinhoff under the impression that Hitler was a little crazy after meeting him near Stalingrad?

Rall: Yes, this is the next point. This was before the collapse of Stalingrad and before El Alamein. This was the apex of his war. From that point on we went backward. It was too optimistic. Well then, nine months later I had to come back again to receive my Swords from Hitler. By that time we had lost the Sixth Army and Stalingrad, as well as El Alamein and the front in North Africa. You know, we had a hell of a time with the submarine war, and this was now a very different Hitler. He was no longer talking about tangible facts. He was talking about, ‘I see the deep valley. I see the strip on the horizon,’ and it was all nonsense. He was speaking about magical figures of manpower and production, a fantasyland. We saw this man as no longer certain, and as infirm. The third time I saw Hitler was when I was summoned to receive my documentation for my Oak Leaves and Swords. It was engraved, gilded and beautifully made with a lovely skirt, frame and so on.

WWII: Do you still have these certificates?

Rall: No, they were stolen in Vienna, most likely by the Russians. There are some of them still available, but not mine. I gave them to my wife and told her to keep them safe and place them in the bunker in the city of Vienna. When we came back a couple of years later, they were gone and nothing was left. At that time there were only 16 or so (who had been so honored), with names such as Adolf Galland, Helmut Lent, Walter Nowotny, as they were all still alive at that time. Lent and Nowotny died before the war ended. Walter Oesau, Dietrich Pelz, Heinz Bar and I were present when Hitler handed these over. Then we had lunch with him, and as usual he started to talk. The main subject of his speech was the pending Allied invasion. This was January 1944. Everybody expected the invasion all along the Channel coast, wondering when it was coming and how they were coming and so on. At that time he developed his ideas, and you could see that Hitler was hopping around, very uncertain. Also, you know, one thing that was very typical of him was his stating how the British were always having problems with their opposition parties, the Labor Party, the labor unions and so on. It was clear to me that this man was a little out of his mind. Hitler did not have a really clear, serious concept of the situation. Whatever their problems, the British come together during war they are one nation.

WWII: What was your impression of the Messerschmitt Me-262 jet fighter, which you flew?

Rall: Well, it was certainly a new dimension. The first time I sat in it, I was most surprised about the silence. If you are sitting in a standard piston-powered aircraft, you have a hell of a noise in the radio headset, background noise and static and such, which I did not experience in the Me-262. It was absolutely clear. With radio from the ground they controlled the flight. They gave me my orders, such as ‘Now accelerate your engines, build your rpm.’ It was very clear. Totally clear. One other thing was you had to advance the throttles very slowly. If you went forward too fast, you might overheat and set the engines on fire. Also, if you were up to 8,000 rpm, or whatever it was, you released the brakes and you were taxiing. Unlike the Bf-109, which had no front wheel and was a tail dragger, the Me-262 had a tricycle landing gear. It was a new sensation, beautiful visibility. You could go down the runway and see straight forward. This was, however, also a weak moment for the Me-262. The aircraft at this point was a little bit stiff and slow during landing and takeoff, but fine when coming up to speed gradually. It was absolutely superior to the old aircraft.

WWII: So how did you like the armament of the Me-262?

Rall: You know, I never did get to shoot the weapons because when I had about 15 or 20 hours I became commander of the JG-300, which was equipped with Bf-109s. I only made some training flights, but never flew the jet in combat.

WWII: What was it like commanding JG-300?

Rall: I came to the unit in late February or early March 1945. This was no longer a wing, just a ruin of the former wing because one group was in the north. As you know, a wing has three groups. In the meantime, the Americans got to the Elbe River, cutting this group off, and some managed to escape to the south. I had only two rudimentary groups, and I will tell you something that was typical: when I arrived at the wing to take over, I came by jeep because I had no aircraft. While I was commander of the Fighter Leaders School, they sent me a jeep and said, ‘You are going up to Plattling in Bavaria to take over as commander of JG-300,’ and when I approached the base I saw that some airplanes were standing out on the apron, and my driver said, ‘Oops, we are being attacked!’ We stopped and ran off the road. It was an attack by P-38 Lightnings, and when I finally arrived there were 15 of our aircraft in flames.

WWII: These were the Bf-109s?

Rall: Yes, and this marked my entrance into the wing. The next day we were transferred to the south, and from there on we had no solid operations. We had no radar, no air situation. We had only narrow contact to higher authority in the division, so we relocated to the area south of Munich. On the way to Salzburg I dissolved the wing, as the war was over, and told the group commanders, ‘This thing is over and you had better go home.’ We gave all that we had, including our food, to the airmen and ground personnel. Then we gave a final salute, and everyone went on his own. As you can imagine, at that time there was no solid warfare. Even the higher ranks came to my headquarters and asked if they could stay there because they wanted to get through it. You could only get out using your feet in a normal unit. So this was a very bad time, and there were no firmly planned or controlled missions. The main fight for me was to try and get fuel for the aircraft. Without it we could not fly, naturally. Even if you listened to the fact that wing so and so dissolved at the hands of the Americans, it was because of this situation, that you were alone and on your own.

WWII: What was the mission of JG-300? Were you still expected to intercept and attack bombers?

Rall: That was early on, and that time had passed. It did not usually work well. Now we had normal fighter missions. In February 1945, there were no normal fighter missions left, you know. What we were doing was looking for targets of opportunity. We had no idea where the enemy was at any time. We were totally in the dark.

WWII: What is your knowledge of Operation Bodenplatte, the fighter sweeps against Allied airfields that took place on January 1, 1945?

Rall: I was in the hospital because my left thumb had been shot off, and the wound was still open and I had an infection. I listened in on the higher staff, so this was how I learned about Bodenplatte. As you know, we lost many of our most experienced unit leaders, irreplaceable losses. A total of 58 unit leaders were lost in that operation, I believe.

WWII: Which Allied fighter was the most difficult to shoot down in combat?

Rall: At the beginning of the war we flew short-range missions and encountered Spitfires, which were superior. And do not forget the Hurricanes. I think that the Supermarine Spitfire was the most dangerous to us early on. I flew the Spitfire myself, and it was a very, very good aircraft. It was maneuverable and with good climbing potential. Then in Russia the first aircraft we encountered were obsolete. The Russians lost about 7,000 aircraft in the first three to four months of the war, but they learned their lessons well and began building better aircraft–the MiGs, Yaks, and the LaG-5. Developed by Semyon A. Lavochkin and Mikhail I. Gudkov from their earlier, unsuccessful LaGG-3 with an in-line, water-cooled engine, the LaG-5 came out in 1943 and had a big radial engine. It was a powerful, excellent aircraft and served as the basis for even better versions: the La-5FN and the La-7.

WWII: Soviet General Ivan Kozhedub, the highest scoring Allied ace of the war with 62 victories, recalled fighting against JG-52 many times. He also felt that the La-7 was the best Soviet fighter.

Rall: Yes, it was excellent. I remember once I chased a Lavochkin a great distance at full throttle and I still could not get him. He was damned fast. Then by way of foreign aid, particularly in the south around the Caucasus where I was fighting, they brought in Spitfires and the Bell P-39 Airacobra, which I liked and the Russians liked but which was inferior to the Bf-109. It had the engine behind the cockpit. Now the big thing in the Home Defense as far as problems was the P-51. The P-51 was a damned good airplane and it had tremendous endurance, which for us was a new dimension. The P-47, which as you know shot me down, we knew right away. It had tremendous diving speed and could run up to 1,400 kilometers per hour, where the Bf-109 was limited to 1,000 kph. I learned this quickly when they chased me, and I could do nothing else. The structural layout design of the P-47 was much stronger, yet I consider the P-51 the best battle horse you had of all the fighter escorts.

WWII: How did the war end for you?

Rall: I was at Ainring near Salzburg when we finished the war. I walked with my staff, retreating at night, and we went to the Americans, who did not care too much for us. So at daylight we decided to try and go home. At Lake Chiemsee we could not go any farther and were captured. The Americans took me back to Salzburg and put me in prison. From Salzburg to Neu Ulm, then to Heilbronn, and there the CIC (Counter Intelligence Corps) saw me. They knew my name and they said that all air force officers should report, and they took me very quickly to interrogation. Then seven of us were taken to England.

WWII: Is it possible that the Americans and British wanted to recruit Luftwaffe officers since it was the beginning of the Cold War?

Rall: Yes, and there was a situation that I will never forget. There was a Mr. Reed, at least that was the name he gave me, his CIC name anyway. When he came to pick me up he asked me, ‘Major, I understand that you flew the 262,’ and I answered, ‘Yes, I did.’ He knew more about me and what I had done than I knew myself. Then he asked, ‘Are you willing to assist us in building up a jet force?’ Well, the war was over, so I said, ‘Yes, sure.’ He also wanted to know if I was willing to go to England, and then to America. I went to England for interrogation. His last question was, ‘Would you be willing to fly with us against the Japanese?’ Well, here I said ‘No,’ and he asked me why not. I told him that they were former allies, and I could not do that.

WWII: Did you consider that a matter of honor?

WWII: How did you become involved in the new Luftwaffe?

Rall: General Steinhoff and Dieter Hrabak were already preparing this. I was in industry and Salem school, where my wife was a doctor, and I was in the organization. Well, they sent me letters saying, ‘You have to come’ and so on. The first of January 1956, I was called and I went to Bonn and there I joined the air force again at the rank of major. From there on I underwent the refresher training, at first in Germany, and later we went to train in the Republic F-84 (Thunderjet) in the United States. This was at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, and from then on I spent quite a lot of time in your country.

WWII: Luke Air Force Base must have been quite a change for you from the forests in Germany.

Rall: Oh, yes, it was a beautiful time. Just beautiful. I remember those early days were great. It looked different than it looks today. You know, Luke Air Force Base and the whole Arizona area was just beginning to build up. It was not as extensive as it is today. Phoenix was not as big a city as it is now, and it was beautiful. It was such a beautiful time and all we did was fly, and then I came back. I was appointed to a staff (position), and then I became the project officer for the F-104–you know, the Starfighter– which took me again to the States.

WWII: Was that when they were putting the F-104 in Germany?

Rall: Yes. I was in Palmdale, California, and Edwards Air Force Base. I later became general and division commander. Then I became chief of staff of the Fourth Allied Tactical Air Force, and then I became commander of German Air Force Command, and the chief of that later.

WWII: When did you retire from the Bundesluftwaffe?

WWII: Can you tell us a little about your family?

Rall: My wife died eight years ago. I have a daughter who lives in Paris, France, and is married to a Frenchman. She is a great restorer at the Louvre. She has a good career, and she has two children. Clement is 14 and Anna Louise is 12. My (other) daughter is married and lives in Munich with her husband. My son-in-law is a designer with BMW, and my daughter is also a designer. They also have two children, girls. One is 7 years old and the other is 4 years old. My second daughter, Felicita, and my son-in-law studied for one year in Pasadena, California.

Rall: What has your life been like since your retirement?

WWII: When I retired, I went into industry, and I was on different boards in an advisory capacity. I am still involved with the industries. I do quite a bit of traveling in the States. There is a great interest in some galleries, as in signing all these paintings and in giving autographs. This is a good chance to get in close contact with some of my former opponents. I am very close friends now with Colonel Hub Zemke and it was his wing that shot off my thumb (5th Fighter Group), and we know exactly who got me. It was Joseph Powers. I have a lot of friends over there.

This article was written by Colin Heaton and originally appeared in the September 1996 issue of World War II magazine.

No. 39 Squadron (RAF): Second World War - History

World War II was a war fought from 1939 to 1945 in Europe, and from at least 1937 to 1945 in Asia. It was the largest armed conflict the world has ever seen, spanning the entire world and involving more countries than any previous war - and fought with powerful new weapons, culminating in the first use of two atomic bombs, whose very existence had been a tightly-held secret. The conflict ravaged civilians more than had any previous wars of the modern era, and served as a backdrop for genocidal killings by Germany, the Soviet Union, and Japan. World War II caused a greater number of deaths, about [61 million], more than any previous war.

World War I aftermath

The origins of the war in Europe can be traced to the end of World War I. In the Treaty of Versailles, Germany was punished with the payment of reparations of war to the victorious nations. The Treaty also placed important restrictions on the German military.

The severe economic reparations helped bring on a serious economic crisis, hyperinflation, and civil unrest in Germany that made possible the rise of the National Socialist (Nazi) Party.

Oddly, Germany's wartime adversaries were far more serious about enforcing the economic reparations than the military restrictions on Germany. Under Adolf Hitler, Germany began re-asserting itself in Europe, clandestinely remilitarising in defiance of the Treaty of Versailles.

In 1936 the German army reoccupied the Rhineland. Germany annexed Austria in the spring of 1938 Hitler then planned to attack and conquer Czechoslovakia, on the pretext of alleged mistreatment of the (largely Germanic) population of the Sudetenland.

Britain had guaranteed the security of Czechoslovakia and it seemed war must break out at this point when the British Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain, appealed to Hitler, and flew to Munich, where the British and French leaders agreed to the cession of the Sudetenland to Germany. Czech representatives were not allowed at the conference their government strongly opposed giving up the Sudetenland but were powerless in the face of German military might and British and French unwillingness to fight for them.

It should be remembered that the rapidly rearming Germany had militarily stolen a march on Britain, which was completely unprepared for war at this time. Chamberlain's infamous act of appeasement, which has been widely seen as cowardly submission, was explained by Chamberlain as an effort to buy time in which to rearm.

Start of the war in Europe

Germany finally became engaged in full-scale war on September 1, 1939 after the Germans invaded Poland, with whom both Britain and France had pledged guarantees (see Polish September Campaign 1939).

Soon after, on September 17, the Soviet Union invaded Poland from the east, as had been agreed to between Hitler's Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop, and his Soviet counterpart, Vyacheslav Molotov. Under this joint attack Poland fell quickly, with last large operational units surrendering October 5 (However Poland was fighting to the end of the war, contributing much to the final defeat of Nazi Germany).

Germany on the one hand, and France and Britain on the other, settled into a period of quiet maneuvering while they mobilized for conflict. This relatively non-confrontational period between the major powers lasted until May, 1940, and was known as the Phony War. Several other countries, however, were drawn into the conflict at this time. The USSR conquered the Baltic, and also attacked Finland but fought it to a stalemate in the Winter War. Germany invaded Denmark and Norway, ostensibly as a defensive maneuver against potential British occupation of those countries.

Germany finally ended the Phony War when it turned west. In a sweeping invasion of the Low Countries that bypassed French fortifications along the Maginot Line, Germany conquered Belgium and the Netherlands then turned the might of its army on France. France fell unexpectedly quickly, leaving Britain to stand alone against Germany. Fortunately for Britain, much of its ground forces escaped capture in the final days of that campaign through a heroic naval rescue from the French harbor of Dunkirk.

Britain's resistance to the threat of German invasion was dogged. An outnumbered RAF fought a long, ultimately successful airwar with the Luftwaffe during the early days of the war, a conflict known as the Battle of Britain. London was later heavily bombed, as were many industrial cities such as Birmingham and Coventry, and strategically important cities, such as the naval base at Plymouth.

In reprisal for the bombing of Lubeck in 1942, Hermann Goering launched the Baedeker Blitz, a campaign of morale-destroying bombings aimed at many beautiful English cities of little military importance such as Exeter, Bath and Norwich. Britain's supply lines with America were severely impacted by the German use of U-boats to sink both military and mercantile shipping in the Battle of the Atlantic.

On June 22, 1941, the Germans launched a surprise invasion, codenamed Operation Barbarossa, against their erstwhile Russian allies. The German Army pushed deep into Russia, overrunning the Red Army at times. But with the capture of Moscow apparently imminent, Hitler suddenly ordered his generals to divert their main thrust south in order to conquer Ukraine. This diversion cost the German Army valuable time by the time they again set their sights on Moscow, the armored assault was slowed by the autumn mud, and then stopped cold when the Russian winter struck. The German army, which had not expected such a prolonged campaign, suffered great loss of life as the chilling winds and lack of planning took their toll.

The next spring the German army continued to push forward, and in November 1942, with the German army at the "gates of Stalingrad", Moscow only 100 miles away, and the oil fields of Grozny in reach, the Red Army held strong. Factors such as indecision by Hitler, dissent among the higher ranked German officers, a long distance to their supplies and a second Russian winter, combined to result in a prolonged battle in the streets of Stalingrad. Heavy losses affected both sides in the battle for Stalingrad, also known as the greatest military bloodbath in recorded history. An estimated 2 million people perished in this battle, including 500,000 civilians. It was the first major defeat of the German army, and they never regained their momentum, allowing the Russian armies to eventually chase the Germans all the way back to Berlin.

The Germans also suffered defeat at the hands of the British in North Africa in late 1942. In the two battles at El Alamein in June and late October - early November, the British under General Montgomery pushed the Germans out of Egypt, westward towards Tunisia. After American troops landed in Algeria in Operation Torch, the Allies completely pushed the Germans out of Africa in 1943.

Japan had invaded China in the early 1930s and had been actively engaged in military action there since 1937. In an effort to discourage Japan's war efforts in China, the United States, Britain and the government in exile of the Netherlands(still in control of oil-rich Indonesia), stopped trading oil and steel (both war staples) with Japan. Japan saw this as an act of aggression as it needed the oil for its war efforts, and on December 7, 1941, the Japanese navy attacked the American Fleet at Pearl Harbor. Japan then invaded and conquered countries across Southeast Asia and the Pacific, including the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia).

At the same time Germany declared war on the United States, drawing America into a two theater war. America had until then remained out of the conflict, though providing military aid to Britain through the Lend-Lease program.

Germany's power was eventually broken by the disastrous Russian campaign, while the ultimately successful invasion of France from the Normandy beachheads by the Western allies on June 6, 1944 opened up a third front. Incessant bombing of Germany's infrastructure and cities caused great casualties and disruption. Internally, Hitler survived a number of assassination attempts, the most serious was the July 20 Plot in which Hitler was slightly injured.

In Operation Market Garden the allies attempted to capture bridges, to open the way into Germany and liberate the northern Netherlands. However the failure to capture the bridge over the Rhine at Arnhem delayed the advance. When all was lost for the Germans, Hitler committed suicide in his bunker along with his lover, Eva Braun. The Russians took Berlin, and Germany was partitioned by the Allies. The final surrender documents were signed by General Alfred Jodl on May 7, 1945. May 8 was declared V-E (Victory In Europe) Day.

The Japanese expansion throughout the Pacific and Asia was halted by their devastating defeat at the Battle of Midway, where they suffered crippling losses to their carrier fleet. From then on the Japanese fought a defensive war, as the U.S. began an island hopping campaign across the Pacific. Hard-fought battles at Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and others resulted in horrific casualties on both sides, but the Japanese were finally driven back. Faced with the loss of most of their experienced pilots, the Japanese resorted to Kamikaze tactics in an attempt to slow the U.S. advance. Meanwhile, Tokyo and other Japanese cities suffered greatly from attacks by American bombers. Japan finally surrendered after the cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both industrial and civilian targets, were destroyed by atomic bombs . The final surrender was signed September 2, 1945, on the battleship U.S.S. Missouri. Following this period, General Douglas MacArthur established base in Japan to oversee the postwar development of the country. This period in Japanese history is known as the occupation.

Historical Significance

Probably because of the example of World War I, compensation was not demanded of the defeated nations. On the contrary, a plan created by U. S. Secretary of State George Marshall, the Economic Recovery Program, better known as the Marshall Plan, meant billions of dollars being used by the US Congress for the reconstruction of Europe. The portion of Europe occupied by the Soviet Union did not participate in the plan. At the same time, the United States consolidated its military presence and links in Europe as preparation against possible Soviet aggression.

  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Soviet Union
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Czechoslovakia
  • Denmark
  • France -- Free French
  • Greece
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • South Africa
  • Yugoslavia
  • Germany -- Nazi Germany
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Finland
  • Hungary
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Battle of Dunkirk "Dynamo"
  • Battle of Ardennes (1944) (a.k.a. Battle of the Bulge)
  • Battle of Britain
  • Battle of Changsha
  • Battle of Crete
  • Battle of Hundred Regiments
  • Battle of Hurtgen Forest
  • Battle of Iwo Jima
  • Battle of Leyte
  • Battle of Lugou Bridge
  • Battle of Normandy, also known as D-Day or Operation Overlord
  • Battle of Okinawa
  • Battle of Peleliu
  • Battle of Tai er zhuang
  • First Battle of El Alamein
  • Kursk
  • Monte Cassino
  • Operation Market Garden
  • Second Battle of El Alamein
  • Stalingrad
  • The Battle of the River Plate
  • Battle of Midway
  • Battle of Pearl Harbor
  • Battle of Guadalcanal
  • Battle of the Atlantic (1940)
  • Battle of Leyte Gulf
  • Battle of Coral Sea
  • Lord Alexander
  • Alan Brooke
  • Neville Chamberlain
  • Jimmy Doolittle
  • Chiang Kai-Shek
  • Winston Churchill
  • Charles De Gaulle
  • Karl Doenitz
  • Dwight Eisenhower
  • Hermann Goering
  • Heinrich Himmler
  • Adolf Hitler
  • Douglas MacArthur
  • George Marshall
  • Vyacheslav Molotov
  • Georgi Konstantinovich Zhukov
  • Bernard Montgomery
  • Benito Mussolini
  • Chester Nimitz
  • George Patton
  • Franklin Roosevelt
  • Eddie Slovik
  • Joseph Stalin
  • Hideki Tojo
  • Harry Truman
  • Isoroku Yamamoto
  • Dresden
  • Hamburg
  • Hiroshima
  • London
  • Nagasaki
  • Plymouth
  • Rotterdam
  • "The Blitz"
  • Tokyo
  • Warsaw

To learn more - use these online Internet resources

Featured Sites

    - A fascinating and clever combination of World War 2 history and facts with a puzzle twist. A fascinating and clever combination of World War 2 history and facts with a puzzle twist. Learn more about the battles of Taierzhuang and Stalingrad and why they are important to world history.

    Canonesa, Convoy HX72 und U-100 - Chronicles a U-boat attack on an allied merchant convoy during the Battle of the Atlantic, and provides a tribute to the merchant navy and merchant seamen during World War 2.

Tracing pilots history - RAF 91 Sqd Spitfires (1 Viewer)

First post here and I'm hoping some of you guys can help me trace the service history of my Great Uncle who flew Spitfires with No 91 'Nigeria' Squadron. I did some work on Google last week which actually found quite a few mentions of his name and even a photo in a book called No 91 'Nigeria' Squadron by Peter Hall. In the book he is listed a few times with two pictures and some interesting reports ,which are:

Joinging the Squadron on July 1st 1942

Surviving a 'blue on blue' when his wingman was shot down when attacked by 609 Squadron Hawker Typhoons on the 18th of December 1942.

Being described as the Squadrons 'ace' photographer when the Spitfires were equiped with an F24 oblique camera.

Shooting down a Bf 109 while providing escort cover during Ramrod 250 mission to Beauvais on the 26th of September 1942 which was confirmed by his Yellow section leader.

Being deemed to have served long enough for a posting to HQ No9 Group for instructor duties on December 5th 1943.

The Squadron photo for VE day 1945 dated May 10th at Ludham Norfolk. See link.'Shaughnessy&source=web&ots=5lMnq0kNDc&sig=34Mnd2rP6VmQ2FvSasKEN3azUI8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Google also finds a page with the history of Spitfire in which it says he shot down a Fw190 just two days before his Bf109 in another ramod mission to bauvais. Peter Halls book lists a mission for that date to Beauvais and says the squadron claimed 3 FW 190's ,but lists different pilots with the kills.

Serial MB836
Markings RH EB-V
Engine Griffon III
Movements 6 MU 18/5/43 405 ARF Heston 11/8/43 91 Squadron 22/8/43 Repaired on Site 19/11/43 91 Squadron 30/12/43 33 MU 20/3/44 3501 Service Unit 8/6/44 41 Squadron 26/6/44 FLS Milfield 28/9/44 39 MU 26/10/44 claimed by 39 MU as non-effective aircraft Home Census March 1946 Struck off Charge 16/5/46
Remarks W/C Ray Harries claimed a FW190 in the Evereaux area on 22/9/43 in this aircraft F/O A. G. O'Shaughnessy claimed a FW190 in the Beauvais area on 24/9/43 W/C Ray Harries claimed two Me109G in the Rouen-Evereaux area on 20/10/43 in this aircraft believed to be W/C Harries personal aircraft during his time as Tangmere Wing leader. Carried codes RH

Another Google link to another book says the following :

"Next is six pages on No. 91 (Nigeria) Squadron (DL), the second of only two Squadrons to fly the Mk.XII in numbers. It begins with a side profile of DL-E, EN617, the regular aircraft of Pilot Officer Albert G. O'Shaughnessy, again by Malcolm Laird. "

So does anyone know the best place to be able to fill in the missing caps in the history of FL/O Albert G. O'Shaughnessy or 'shag' O'Shaughnessy as he was rather amusingly know in the Squadron ?
Thanks for any help.Great forum BTW.

PS. Wasn't sure if this is the best forum section to post this in, so if any mod wants to move it, please feel free to do what's best.